Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

House Hunting: Part 1

My husband and I are very easy going.  This makes the house hunting process very difficult. 

When I asked my husband what he would like in a home, he didn't really have a response.  He's lived everywhere and can make anywhere a home.  My requests/requirements for a home are as follows:
  • Nice large kitchen (where I cook a lot, have a lot of kitchen gadgets, and where I spend most of my time)
  • Off the street parking (preferably a garage)
  • At least 2 bedrooms
  • At least one bath tub
That's it really.  Everything else I can think of is not really that important.  On one hand I'd like to be away from it all and live more on the outskirts, or even in the country.  On the other hand, if we lived in town I wouldn't necessarily have to take my husband in to work with our one car if I wanted to run errands because I would be in walking distance of things.  Sure, it would be nice to live near a beach or have a pool, but not if that jacks up the price of the apartment and leaves us with less space.  

Another frustration comes from the fact that we have no access to the official base approved housing list, so to view these apartments/houses, I can't take my leisure time and browse through them on my computer.  I have to make an appointment with housing, try to explain what I want (I don't think they understand what a good kitchen is), and peer over the desk as the housing agent looks through the list.  I can also see her frustration as she asks "do you want to live in the country or the city" and I tell her "it doesn't matter".  She and I both know this would be an easier process if I were more picky.  She asks me what town I want to look/live in.  I tell her I haven't a clue because I haven't been off base.  I don't have a car.  She asks me when I will have one. I have no clue on that either.  It could be in a couple weeks, it could be in a month. 

Considering we only get 30 days to stay at the Navy Lodge, and by the time I have my first house hunting appointment it will be 12 days since I've been here, I'm feeling the pressure.  I want my husband to help me, but have no idea if his work schedule will permit any time off for this.  He has taken 2 weeks of leave in July, but it will start just about the same time that our 30 days are up. 

Will I have to do this on my own?  Will I have to rent a car?  Will we find and settle on a home/contract by the time our hotel stay is up?  What town will we settle on?  

Stay tuned to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment